“There is now a complete transformation in the way ethnic wear is handled with the segment becoming almost indispensable,” says Chetan Dharod, Director, Brand Bonny, a premium player in the ethnic wear segment. The brand offers coat suits, blazers, indo-western and jackets for boys in the age group 0 to 14 years. “Around 70 per cent of our products comprise coat suits and blazers while the remaining 30 per cent comprise Indo western wear,” informs Dharod.
Focus on quality and design
The garments offered by Bonny are made from a variety of fabrics including velvet for jackets and vibrant printed materials for coat suits. “For our Indo western style, we use silk, brocade, silk brocade and velvet.” The colors generally are blunt, navy blue, wine and foam.” The brand offers a range of 12 different colors, whereas the colors for winters are usually dark. In styles, the brand adopts African cuts for suits, and closed neck styles for sherwanis.
Fabrics are sourced from both India and abroad. Dharod notes, “We have an in-house design team that undertakes research and surveys before launching any new collection. We focus a lot on the quality and design aspects of our garments.”
No price-issues for ethnic wear
Claiming that his brand has never faced any price-related issues, Dharod says since “ethnic wear is largely worn during occasions, people don’t mind spending on their kids’ clothing.” Prices range between Rs 2,200 to Rs 6,000. Earlier ethnic wear was limited special occasions but now they are in demand all around the year. The definition of ethnic wear is changing with some party wear now being included in this segment. “The domestic market for this segment is promising though, we export to Jeddah and UAE as well,” says Dharod.
Focus on consolidation rather than expansion
In future, the brand plans to consolidate its operations rather than expanding retail network. It is currently present in 14-15 states through MBOs. “We don’t find online retail appealing and it may take time for us to be available through this channel,” adds Dharod.
Taking an optimistic view, Dharod says, “Small challenges are a part and parcel of any business.” He lists labor issues created by increasing employment opportunities as one of the major challenges in the apparel industry. “Healthy competition leads to more opportunities,” Dharod confidently states they expect a robust 20 per cent growth in current year.