Organic clothing brand, No Nasties, which launches new collections in Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter, aims to grow at 50 per cent this year. The brand will achieve this growth by offering more products besides increasing its online presence.
Consumers prefer certified organic cotton
One of the largest exporters of organic knits, the brand offers an entire range of organic T-shirts for men, women and children. “When consumers talk about organic T-shirts, they usually refer to organic cotton – especially certified organic. Though alternative materials such as hemp and bamboo are available, they are still in the relative early stages of development and are not usually certified as organic. We source majority of cotton from Chetna Organic Co-op,” says Apurva Kothari, Founder of the brand.
As organic cotton does not use agrichemicals during production, it preserves the health of soils, ecosystems and people. “The process relies on ecological processes, biodiversity and locally adapted inputs in place of chemical inputs which can have an adverse effect on the farmer and the environment. Organic cotton is produced and certified according to the organic agricultural standards. The production combines tradition, innovation and science to benefit the shared environment and promote a good quality of life for all involved,” adds Kothari.
Boosts eco-awareness in consumers
The organic clothing sector is growing with more awareness amongst consumers and more brands entering the space. “Since our inception in 2011, there has been a steady rise in demand for organic clothing. More and more customers are becoming aware of the impact of their purchases on the environment. Added media coverage on the benefits and importance of organic farming is leading to more people asking for sustainable and ethical clothing,” adds Kothari.
Present across India, No Nasties has one EBO, and three MBOs in India and in the international markets it has 13 MBOs. “Around 80 per cent of our sales are achieved from metros while Tier II cities generate the remaining 20 per cent,” states Kothari.
Kothari believes though cost is a determining factor in organic clothing, the Indian consumer has enough purchasing power to buy these clothes. It’s only the question of awareness. Though people are willing to pay extra they also need to be ensured that as demand for organic clothing increases and it becomes mainstream, prices will drop due to efficiencies of scale. “Right now the supply chain is limited to small niche brands that work with small size mills which increases the costs. In the end, it’s usually the cotton farmers and factory workers who pay for cheap, fast fashion, therefore, it’s not fair to look at only the financial cost and ignore the social and environmental costs,” Kothari sums up.